Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The cow jumped over the moon?


             Sitting in class, I became amused. My teacher said some things that left me confused. She told me a story of a lion and a mouse, then another about a gingerbread house. There was one about an elephant and a cookie too. She then threw in one about tying your shoe. I began to protest and scream real loud, “these stories aren’t true! No way! No how!” My teacher pointed her finger to a nearby chair and when I didn’t budge, she gave me “THE STARE”. I finally sat down, so she went about her way and continued these silly stories for the rest of the day. There was one about a caterpillar eating the world. There was one about moving to Australia, he was just a boy! She told a story of a fish with rainbow scales, then one of a duckling, and one about bells. She moved on to stories from Dr. Seuss and that’s when I couldn’t hold it. I had to break loose! So I raised my voice and called her a liar. I said, “These stories aren’t true, you should be fired.” She didn’t break into tears or fuss at me. She simply smiled and said, “That may be, but they come from minds creative and wise, from people who know how to live fun lives. If you close your eyes and let your mind go free then maybe you, too, can see what they see.” So…I closed my eyes and tried to let my mind go “free” but I just couldn’t do it. I cried, “What does this mean?” My teacher patted my head and said, “That’s okay, this is exactly why we must read.” Reading allows our minds to go to new worlds we could never imagine. With reading, anyone can make anything happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment