Tuesday, December 4, 2012

What to do when a big girl needs help.


            Every night I lay in my bed and close my eyes to see the day ahead–But I hear the creaking, I hear the scratching, the whispers are creeping, and my mood is lacking. I want to cry and I want to yelp. What to do when a big girl needs help? I could hide under the blanket with all limbs inside. I could hold my breath, but then I might die. I rack my brain with things to do and then I decide to call for the crew! I reach for my phone to give Teddy D. a call. He’ll be right over and he’s bringing the ball. Mrs. Moo Moo’s on board to put an end to the noise; she’s in the chest with all of my other toys. Three is not enough for the plan I have made so I whistle for Jimmy, LewLew and Jade.

                We stretch out the map of my great big old house and with a red magic marker I put X’s all about. We take a breath for courage then set out on our way. With flash lights in hand we eliminate the grays as best as we can. I tried to stay close to all of my friends, but I fell behind every now and again. I stubbed my toe on every corner I took and once on a lap. It swayed and it shook. We reached the fountain where I like to make wishes, I usually wish there was no such thing as dishes—but not tonight, I’d like to keep going. This mission’s important and I have no pennies worth throwing. We pass the front door, the garage one too, and that’s when I notice we’ve lost LewLew. We all turn around but decide to keep on walking. We know LewLew is tough because she comes from Milwaukee.
                We’ve come upon the kitchen and the cabinets are open. I look at Mrs. Moo Moo, she’s got a plan for this one. No one can reach the cabinets so high. We need a ladder or stairs of some kind. With Jimmy on bottom then Jade and Teddy D, Mrs. Moo Moo’s on top when she cries out to me, “There’s nothing up here, your cabinets are not disturbed. They were simply left open by your cousin named Bird.
                So, we move right along to our next destination. We pass by the plants and my dad’s work station. When we reach the back door I turn the nob. The door doesn’t open, “We need the key,” Teddy D. says with a sob. I tell him to look at me, that he better straighten up this jigs not over and I have the key. We look out the door to find nothing buy grass, I’m growing disappointed because too much time has passed.
                With no time to waste we move it along to find our third base. We go down the hall and the noise is growing louder so we scrunch in a ball and all walk together. We see a light flashing and more scared we become. Should we go into the living room or turn and run? – But we’ve come too far to give up this mission, “we will finish this now,” is my final decision.
                So, we all straighten up and got in a line and all walked in only to find…The TV is on and the volume is up, spread out on the couch, LewLew says, “Sup?” My furry continues to grow as I haul my toys to bed, LewLew in tow. I climb under the blanket and rest my head on my pillow. With my eyes not yet closed my anger dissolves and I thank all my toys for getting involved. We all say, “Goodnight,” and turn off the lamp. –But as I’m falling asleep my dad comes in saying, “Good morning, Champ!”              

No comments:

Post a Comment